Saturday, March 8, 2014

"Heartbroken & Homicidal", Twiztid album review

     Hey ninjas. Been a little while, hasn't it? I've been meaning to do some work, but shit just kept coming up and it was hard to sit hear and listen to music for an hour. But then I declared, "This weekend, it goes the fuck down!" so here I am on Saturday afternoon, writing this for all my lovely fams. Today I'll be reviewing "Heartbroken & Homicidal" by Twiztid.
     If you're a ninja and you like Twiztid, you can probably say you at least know about this album existing. It's not that old, 2010 release. Something to note is that this album was primarily produced by Monoxide, which is interesting given how much a rock sound it has to it.

Graphics:
     I knew for a while this had a little booklet activity in it, but it never really appealed or interested me. It kind of seemed kiddy, like something they threw in their for the teenagers among us. I mean - that's me, but still. I just never felt like it was necessary to have there, kind of like the cut-out casket in the back of the "W.I.C.K.E.D." booklet. Maybe it's because I like to keep my shit in top condition, I can't help but feel like I'm desecrating the booklet when I do something like that. But hell; if you're bored and you want something to do, it's there I guess.
     The rest are basically diary entries by a maddened man that you shade in with a pencil to reveal. I hear you can also see it under a UV light, or if you can get light to sheen on it that works too. But getting to angling right and all that is just too much work for something silly, so I would recommend the UV or a pencil. But again, I didn't do it anyway. I'm sure that the entries are probably interesting, but the pencil that comes with the album...I don't know if I'm just stupid, but I can't figure how you open the case to get the "Heartbroken & Homicidal" pencil in it. I'm probably just an idiot, but what the hell? I feel like the only way to get it is to separate the CD casing, and I'm too finicky to do something so brutal just for a pencil I'm not going to use anyway. But I'm whining.
     In the middle of the booklet, there's a picture of skeletal and damaged Jamie and Monoxide that also serves as the CD art. That's dope, I guess. That's inbetween the diary entries, so it's diary entries, picture, then more entries. The back of the booklet has got some fly and spider thing going on; it's weird, but that's Twiztid for you. Huge, highly-defined fly just chilling under the CD rest, looking philosophical. The fly thing they have going on here is weird, but hey, I dig it I guess. Then of course on the back of the cover you got your track listing and credits. Your hatchetman, your websites, all that stuff. That about covers it for graphics.

Content:
     At first I was apprehensive to listen to this album, I felt like it would feel like a chore, but I was wrong. For some reason I was under the impression that this album had a lot of filler on it, kind of like the Green Book did, but I was incredibly enamored the entire album through. I can say with conviction that every single track on this album is a solid, well-and-good track, and that's a solemn belief. The song topics are varied, and you're kept waiting to hear the next track as it makes its rotation. The production is really good too; everything from the writing to the bass, it's all pretty top notch. Though the tracks are solid, it can come off that there is nothing here that's too eminent or amazing here
     To bring this to a close: This album is good. Really enjoyable to listen to, and it feels more personal than some of their other work. As though they put a lot of themselves into this album. It also isn't really horrorcore or dark like most of their work is, it's just a solid rap rock album. They changed up their sound, and it think it really shined here. But it isn't their greatest, and I'd say that while this album is really good it's not really listed among their best work for me

Final Grade: "Heartbroken & Homicidal" by Twiztid gets a: 3.8/5!

Strong points:
- This album is different than a lot of their work, and it has a really unique sound even though they've done rap rock music before.
- If you like rap rock, this is a really stellar example of what rap rock is.
- The production on this album is fucking stellar.

Weak points:
- Don't walk into this album expecting this to be their greatest work, because simply put it isn't. It's just a good solid rap rock album.

I dig the heart design...But what's up with all the spider and fly stuff? Pretty fresh regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment