Saturday, March 15, 2014

"Lets Get Violent", Lo Key album review

     This piece isn't that old at all; it's a 2013 album (June specifically), so in my eyes it's pretty damn new. I bought this a while ago, once I saw the art for the "Chainsaw edition" I was immediately smitten.
     Since there are three versions of this album, I think that ANY prospective buyer should definitely know about them before buying more than one of these CDs. I'm so used to variant albums having different track listings that I forgot to check whether this album adhered to that rule or not. When I got them in the mail, I was quite surprised to discover they didn't. On top of that, this album is only nine tracks long.
     If you're thinking about buying it, you should consider some of the these things beforehand. With that, I'm going to go ahead with the rest of the review.

Graphics:
 Okay ninjas, there's quite a bit to say here since I have all three albums
Chainsaw edition:
      I posted the art below, but I'll say that it's the main reason I wanted to buy the CD.
      On the back of the case, you've got your track listing. In the lower corner, you see Lo Key scrutinizing a fractured skull in his left hand. In his other, he's holding a bloodied combat knife. Right next to him is another Lo Key logo.
     The cover art is just a single sheet. On the back of it there are credits for the production of the album, guest appearances, and the album art. This specific art was done by Jacob Cook - who's done a very fucking fine job, I might add. The CD art is slightly different for each version as well - this one has Lo Key's iconic mask on it in the form of a messy blood spatter.
Slave edition:
     I posted the art below. I'd say that this one is the most violent of the three.
     On the back there are several severed body parts. Two legs, two arms. They hang in chained fashion, with a heart dangling over a circular centerpiece that hangs the limbs below it in shorter chains.
     Again, the CD cover art is just one sheet with acknowledgements on the back. The artwork for Slave edition was done by Corpse Phucker. On the CD is one of the woman's bloodied corpses, with the Lo Key logo and LETS GET VIOLENT written on it.
Monster edition:
     This art is the simplest out of the three, and I've posted it below.
     On the back of the CD case is another view of the monster pictured on the front of the CD. It is then revealed that it wasn't crawling by choice, rather its body from the waist down is severed. Its entrails are spilled out in a bloody pool of crimson, and its spine, as well as some of its ribcage, are exposed to the open air.
     This artwork was done by Lilah Deane, and the monster's face from the cover make a reappearance on the CD art.
UPDATE (4/2/14)
Special Donator's edition:
     This is one of those weird situations that also make me sad I've been sleeping on the CD game for so long. I've done a bit of digging around, and originally it was just hints and whispers that there was another version of this album that wasn't one of the three I knew existed. Then I was digging through THEFNSPOT and I was looking for any work done by Lo Key. I thought it might be faster to just add in "Lokey" to the URL and maybe it would just automatically bring me to Lo Key's artist page so I could download some of his tunes. I was wrong, but what I did see shocked and surprised me.
http://thefnspot.com/lokey/
     Ain't that some shit? A special edition of the album - with new material, too? I'm surprised that this link still exists, seeing as how this whole escapade has since blown over and Lo Key's obviously acquired the resources to produce his album. But it's still up, kind of like a tiny piece of history that has clung to the deep intestines of the web.
     Anyway, the whole point is that this page confirmed any suspicion I previously had about there being another version of the album. It's been referred to as the "Special Donator's edition", so that's what I'm going to call it by. The Special Donator's edition came with a different cover (I think, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere. I know what it looks like, but I haven't been able to find a copy of it digitally - the only place I've seen it was on a YouTube video of the bonus track that came with this version of the album. I'mma take this moment to say:
IF ANY NINJA HAS A DIGITAL COPY OF THE ART FOR THIS VERSION OF THE ALBUM - HIT ME THE FUCK UP!!!
     For those of you who want to listen to the bonus track, you can probably find it on YouTube seeing as this version of the album will probably never see itself printed again. Either that or you can go hunting the globe for a ninja that is gonna sell the album to you - won't be easy or cheap, but audiophiles are crazy cats I'll tell ya.
     Anyways, that's it for that. I think Lo Key has other albums kind of like this that he's sold in special editions, so this isn't the first.
UPDATE (5/4/14): It's been got, ninjas!
     I found the album cover - finally, which totally confirms any previous doubt about its existence.  While I don't own this album, it was far from just a Bing search to find this piece of art. I'll just say that I had to enter a lot of back doors to find this art, and I busted my ass. But now I have it digitally, and I can show it to all of you!
This version has Lo Key's signature on it, and looking at the rarity of this piece, as well as the exclusiveness, I don't know why anyone would get it and not want Lo Key's signature on it. Plus, it was included in the donation package to have it signed, so you'd have to request it specifically if you didn't want it signed. But in any case, it's here now, in its (mostly) full glory. Hoorah!


Content:
     There is a lot of good on this album. It's self-produced by Lo Key himself, and is mostly Lo Key the whole way through, except for the occasional feature here-and-there. The content and production on this album is really stellar, and exemplary of the horrorcore genre - almost stereotypically. If I were to think about one CD to describe the horrorcore genre, this is the most to-the-point and forcefully expressive disc I could think of to introduce someone to the genre.
     This album is very varied too, while some tracks are more melodic, other tracks are straight up grimy and thumping. A lot of the tracks have a heavy electronica sound to them that sounds experimental, considering the genre. That sound (bass-heavy, electronic) is present throughout the entire album, but is welcome in favor of a slower and more shuffling sound other horrorcore entries often have. This style is something I haven't seen too many underground artists try to tackle before, really.
     The guest appearances are all awesome, and they help to amplify the variety of content on this album. This album will be remembered for a long time as it's home to popular tracks such as, "Lets Get Violent" and "King of Horrorcore", that hold legacy in their simple, stupidly violent nature. The amount of topics and scenarios Lo Key was able to cover within this nine track album is impressive, and I'd easily recommend this album to any horrorcore fan.

"Lets Get Violent" by Lo Key receives a: 3.8/5!

Strong points:
- Strong production and lyricism
- Sick cover art
- Unique, but telling production
- Really exciting and fun to listen to
- Belligerent as hell
- Awesome guest appearances

Weak points:
- The length of the album (Nine tracks) makes the album feel short, and even subject to the classification of being an EP rather than an album

Again, any ninja with a digital copy of the art for the Special Donator's edition: HIT A MOTHERFUCKA UP!!! As of 5/4/14, this problem has been solved, so I don't need anyone to hit me up with the image.

My favorite out the three. I put up the art according to my liking of them, from 1st to 3rd.


No comments:

Post a Comment