Friday, February 21, 2014

"Mostasteless", Twiztid album review

     Mostasteless! A review for one of my favorite albums of all time.
     Original release for this beauty was 1997, both of the presses I believe. It was too wicked for stores shelve, however, so it got pulled and re-issued in 1999, with some new tracks added and a couple from the OG press cut. The removed tracks would live on to be captured in some of the Cryptic Collections, so you can still find 'em around. There was also another version of the album, not meant for national release, and it had a fetus on the cover. I don't know what the hell the deal is with that one, if the track listing is different or anything like that. If any ninja wants to hit me up with some deets, I would be more than happy to have a brother fill me the fuck in.
     The main differences between the two (Or three, rather); and of course, there's different art for them both. To clarify, I have the re-issued version. If I ever run into a copy of the original, I might try an' grab it, but for now, here I am with the re-issued one. The third, however...I think that one's mad rare, and holds an aristocratic price tag. I hit it big one day - maybe I'll consider it. Likelihood, no; it ain't happening, and if it does - not anytime soon.

Graphics:
(Note that on the three different versions of the album, the art is different)
     On the real, these graphics are pretty fucking dope. You got these two clowns in their old-school paint, on the cover, beheadin' demons and generally looking badass. Then you open it up, you got their faces on the CD, and they're rocking out under the CD rest. Fold out the booklet, got some sweet-ass comic-book styled action going on on the back. It's not particularly coherent, but shit's messy, with lots of demons, lots of violence, bullets, and blood. It's nice.
     On the inside of the booklet you got some shout-outs from Jamie and Mono, credits for the production of the album, a painting of Jamie and Paul in paint, and some ads. The ads, oh boy. You've got an ad for Big Money Hustlas (Hot damn!) and...shit, a motherfucking ad for Tales from the Lotus Pod! This must be an old-ass print, because the only members listed are Twiz and ICP. Not even credits for Marz or Blaze Ya Dead Homie. Anyways, that's about it for the art. There's some sick heaven-and-hell shit going on on the back of the CD cover, that shit's always fresh. The graphics for this album, the version I have anyway, lemme tell ya. Fucking. Stellar.

Content:
     The track listing for the re-issue is different. It contains Spin the Bottle, Blink, and Bury Me Alive, all of which the original did not have. It lacks Smoke Break, Anotha Smoke Break, Meat Cleaver, Somebody Dissin' U, Murder, Murder, Murder, and She Ain't Afraid. Ninjas, you can find the cut tracks on Cryptic Collection CDs, so don't fret if you're trippin' on the price tag for the original. Lastly, some of the lyrics and content has been altered or censored.
On "Whatthefuck?!?!", Monoxide's verse "And I'mma be the first to tell; I gotcha family all hostage and they burnin' in hell!" has been censored. There are other minor edits on the CD, too.
     Mostasteless was very well-produced and as I understand it, is mostly produced by the two killas themselves. The beats are shuffling and wicked, heavy in a strange and morbid way. The noise almost seems to tell a tale all by itself, and there is some use of sampling throughout the CD which I appreciate very much. For being Twiztid's first CD both as a group and a Psychopathic artist, they did very well in stepping outside the box and bringing something different - but still wicked, to the table. Keep in mind that I'm speaking on the re-press and not the OG copy.
     I've said this before, and I will again. I'm not sure what way these guys were in, but they have an air of depression and anger that is filtered through this album. It's like I can feel their madness seeping off their lyrics as they spit about having nervous breakdowns, being forlorn, hating everybody and just wanting to murder them all...it's touching. It's amazing, how well they filtered their emotions into their music. That, right there, that fact, it's what keeps me coming back to the album time and time again. There is so much good to this album. Ninjas, I'm serious, this album is a must-have for all the Twiztid ninjas. It's heavy, so get your ass on it and grab a copy if you don't already have one! It'll split your wig wide-open. Whoop whoop!

Final Grade: "Mostasteless" by Twiztid recieves a: 5/5!!!
This album is mad dope ninjas, like I said, it's one of my favorite albums of all time. Check it the fuck out!

Strong points:
- Great production that can tell a story on its own
- Great lyricism
- Dope-ass art
- An ad for Tales From?!?! What is this?!?!
- Great track listing
- A unique entry for the hatchet
- This is that real wicked shit; that real madness

Ninjas, there it is! Second album to ever get a perfect score...Whoop whoop!

This is the re-release, and the one I have. Mad dope!

This is the original, "too wicked for store shelves" version.

The weird, rare version

No comments:

Post a Comment