Friday, May 9, 2014

"Let It Burn", Blaze Ya Dead Homie digital single review

There were limited hardcopies of this pressed up at some show at some point in time. If you missed it, you'll probably never get a copy. I don't have the disc, so this is a digital review.
     If you're a self-respecting Juggalo, you might have been wondering "Where the fuck did Blaze Ya Dead Homie('s solo career) go?" Well don't worry; the dead homie's not rotting away. In fact, he released a whole single! That's right fellas: three minutes and thirteen seconds of the dead homie! This is clearly a big, bold move in his career, and a very large release.
     Actually, I don't blame him that much. He's been grinding with Twiztid, doing his thing with them, collabing, going to shows, that kind of thing. So even if he hasn't been producing much solo stuff; he's been busy. It's actually recently been announced that he'll be touring with ABK as Drive-By, and they've got two EPs they're bringing along with them as well. Of course, it's a midwest tour, so don't expect to see me in the crowd or anything (Rhode Island gets no love). But to get back to the point; Blaze released a single a long time ago, last year actually, titled "Let It Burn". When I first heard about it, I thought it was some vapid stoner track or something, but I just assumed that because of its title. It's actually a song about destruction and burning things - not weed.
     I didn't it give it much attention when it came out, but Amazon gave me a whole free dollar, so what the hell.

Content:
     "Ay yo Blaze, yo yo, Blaze, you been out for a while man, whatchu been doin'? Oh word, tourin' with Twizitd? Oh you releasin' some solo content after all this time? And it's a single? Well since so much time has passed I bet you really gave this one your all, you really tried your hardest and this is gonna be a hit, huh Blaze? Huh?"
     Of course, I'm exaggerating. But you would at least think that if all this time has passed, the single would at least be smash as fuck, am I wrong in that assumption? I'd say that's pretty fair to expect. When I first heard it, I was confused and a little disappointed. This track isn't pivotal or memorable; it's just a song about burning stuff. Actually, it's not bad. Blaze has pretty good verses, and the production's alright. It's just not fantastic at all, in any iota, it's just a song that will likely float away and be forgotten about. But that's okay. I still love Blaze and I will support him, it's just that this track isn't that great. The break gets really repetitive too, and coupled with the inclusion of verses that don't shine too bright, there's really not much here for you besides the novelty of having some fresher content from the dead homie.
If you love the dead homie, buy it. It won't be your worst purchase. But I can guarantee it won't be your best one. At best, I'd give it a 2/5. Really not groundbreaking.

This is the art for the single. I think it might be an edited picture of Blaze meant to suit the track better; not actually a picture taken specifically for the single. Either way, I liked the art for the single, it's a nice picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment