Saturday, May 24, 2014

"American Monster", Lo Key EP review

Hello ninjas! In the future, I might be dropping a considerable number of Lo Key reviews - I just got a big shipment with most of his discography in it, and there are a lot of shorter EPs I now have that I'm interested in looking into. This is one of 'em.
     Released in 2012, this album is one of Lo Key's better-recieved EPs. I will also tell you, right off the bat, that this album feel really short - even for an EP. It's seven tracks long, but it seemed shorter than that. That could be considered a good thing, but also a bad thing. Good because it could be seen that it was a good enough EP to make time fly by, bad because it could have used a bit more content. But again, it's an EP: I knew what I was getting into.
     Economically, does this make sense? All of Lo Key's CDs are usually 12.99, this album is (currently) no exception to that rule. Like other albums Lo Key has released, there are four versions of this album, and only one of them is available for purchase in his store. I doubt he will put them up again, and if he ever does, I doubt it will be soon. I will get into that more later, but for now, I will move on to the next segment of the review.

Graphics:
     Like I said before, there are four versions of this album, I'll list them all off right now:
Brainwash Blueberry
Rotten Raspberry
Cyanide Citrus
Killer Kiwi (The version I have)
     I am near positive that all four albums have the exact same track listing. I have the album art for the first last two versions, but not the two prior. As I understand and know it: Scans of the Brainwash Blueberry and Rotten Raspberry album art for American Monster DO NOT EXIST! I have been in many places in search of them, but I have not found a single scan. If a ninja has a copy of either of these albums, or a scan - PLEASE don't hesitate to hit me up with some pics!! I will greatly appreciate it, and I'll even give you an honorable mention.
     The only version I have is Killer Kiwi. I don't know if the first two were limited edition or not, but I haven't found any evidence other than notepads and listings that they exist at all. Of course, while all four have the same track listing, they don't all have the same art! The exact differences, I am unsure of. But I know that for the Cyanide Citrus and Killer Kiwi versions of AM, the cover art is only different in that they have different colors, and the background for the Cyanide Citrus version is a bit darker than the Killer Kiwi one. As far as any other art goes - interior, exterior, I am currently clueless to any differences in album art other than the front covers.
Now that we have all that out of the way, I'm going to talk about the graphics for the version of the album I have: Killer Kiwi.
     Simplistic would be an apt way to describe it. All the album art is are the words "American Monster" placed closed together, silhouetted against a dark background with blood splatter around the lettering. On the back you have your track listing for all seven tracks, and a logo in the corner. Side note: The track listing for this album is in green - the same as the album cover. This leads me to believe that perhaps with each different color of the album, the track listing may change accordingly - though I cannot confirm this!     The CD cover is just a single piece, like a lot of other Lo Key CDs. This one says, "RED RUM" in big red lettering. It is possible that in different versions of the album, the back paneling of the album cover will be different - but I'm not sure. The CD art for this version of the album pictures an ominous Lo Key, with a covered face and hat. He has a green hue to him - in theme with the green of the rest of the album art. Perhaps with different versions of the album, the CD art is different; perhaps a different color tone or something. But in any case, I again am not sure and cannot confirm anything beyond what I have. Okay, that's it for graphics. I am sorry for the ambiguity, but the solid truth is that the information is not there.

Content:
     This CD flew by me. It was like I turned it on, listened to it, and then all of a sudden if was done playing. That's not really a bad thing, but maybe it could be when you're spending 12.99 on a CD.
     American Monster comes with a spiked bat, hits you in the side of the head with some wig-splitting freshness, and then leaves the wound festering, making you yearn for something more. Anything less is an exaggeration, and anything more is glorification: this CD is short as hell.
     Contrarily, it sort of makes up for the fact that it's short by being a really good CD. Well, it would if it wasn't a 12.99 CD, but it mostly makes up for the fact. This CD has a great track list, excellent features, and unique production to make it a memorable disc.
     If you've heard anything off the album, you can probably draw a pretty solid conclusion about the nature of the album. It's a wicked shit banger in which Lo Key lays down some hard lyricism about quite a couple things, including slavery, murder, sex and high school shootings. It's not a Chamiliatic - not too personal, just an EP that'll bang hard in the whip for a while. It is in no means extraordinary, but it is a fucking solid horrorcore EP that you'll come back to every now and then. Regardless of this, it will eventually fade into the darkness as Lo Key releases more material.
     I like this EP. I like it because it's not much more than it claims to be; I like the often simple violence and madness that make this album what it is - it's almost humbling. I know I'll be coming back to this EP, but I also know that in all likelihood, I'm going to forget about it eventually. For now, however, it's pretty fucking cool.
     The production is a horrorcore sound with some electronic production and a bit of underground griminess that isn't stereotypical, but characteristically unique of Lo Key as usual. Musically speaking, American Monster is a huge success. The features are generally well-known figures in the underground scene and help to tie the album together, bringing in different styles and flavors to the CD.
     If this is at the top of your buy list - take it off, it doesn't belong there. If you have some spare cash and want something to play for a little while - yeah, it wouldn't a bad idea to throw some cash at this CD. Just remember that it's only seven tracks long.

JRH gives "American Monster" by Lo Key a: 3.5/5
(Muffled speculative chatter)

Strong points:
- Smash tracks
- Great features
- Refreshingly belligerent
- Solid production
- Simple and sweet

Weak points:
- Feels very, very short, could benefit from even one or two more tracks; ends abruptly
- Four versions, four cheesy-named colors, little difference in art, and no extra content. Lo Key, I know you gotta get paid just like the next man, but come on.
- 12.99 for a seven track CD
- Album art is not strong

That's it ninjas. I expect to have another review up on Monday, and it will likely be for another EP. Stay fucking tuned ninjas, and have a good one.

Cyanide Citrus. Looking at them side-by-side, it also appears that the cover for this version is darker than the Killer Kiwi one.

Killer Kiwi (the one I own). The other versions (Brainwash Blueberry and Rotten Raspberry) only exist as notepads indicating their existence in my folder for this album, and as I said before, I have no graphics for either one.

No comments:

Post a Comment