Friday, June 13, 2014

"Eye of the Storm", Insane Clown Posse EP review

I'll start by saying I underestimated this EP hard. This is a classic case of "Don't judge a book by it's cover" - the art for this piece isn't very pretty, which immediately made me feel like the production would be a bit shoddy. It's instinct, but I was completely wrong. This EP is great. Released in 2007, this EP comes directly after The Tempest and before Bang! Pow! Boom! in 2009. I'm not sure how well it was received among the Juggalos, but apparently physical copies weren't distributed worldwide - only through Hatchetgear. That might speak of it's reception, but I couldn't quite tell you exactly. Now, I'm going to jump into the physical section before I continue.

Graphics:
This cover art catches the eye, but only to the extent that you'd see it and say "What the fuck is that?" Actually, the album art isn't that bad - I've seen worse for sure. But when you look at it, you don't quite think of a CD that was big or popular - it doesn't strike itself to the eye as something of amazing quality. I don't quite think it was supposed to be, either, this CD is just an EP with outtakes from The Tempest as well as some original content. It wasn't meant to be a bomb-ass no-holds barred kind of thing, but still, the art doesn't particularly grab me in a pleasing way.
     The art consists of a giant eyeball in one of those fortune teller machines. At the top of the stand are the words "Ask The Eye!", and beneath the eyeball are the words "Eye of the Storm". There's other stuff on the machine too, like ICP's name, but I'll be posting it below. On the back you have a track listing - it's an eight-track EP, along with licensing shit.
     I was excited when I noticed that the cover art was also a small booklet, but less so when I discovered it was just advertisements for other stuff ICP was doing at the time. An ad for JCW wrestling is on the left and there's information for the 2007 Hallowicked tour. There's production credits for the album on the back of the booklet, and then the CD on the right has a track listing around the rim along with the CD title and the group title. There's a red Hatchetman in the CD rest.

Content:
At first glance, this CD might not look like much at all. But this CD is so much more than first glance - it has really awesome production and a smash lineup of awesome tracks that'll keep you coming back to their wicked deliciousness. I can tell you that I was very entertained listening to this CD, and I got it on the cheap too. Insane Clown Posse EPs are strangely cheap on Amazon - so check it the fuck out! It's not like the tracks here were rejected from The Tempest because they sucked - they just didn't fit in with the rest of the CD, so they ended up here, and that is evident when you listen to this. These tracks are smash as hell, they vary in content, and carry with them entertaining cuts that hop and bounce all over the place. There are some tracks that have a rock/hard rock element to them, while others carry that nutty insane vibe that ICP is known for, but it all comes fluidly together on this CD and it's all good content.
     If you're a fan of Insane Clown Posse, I'd highly recommend this EP to you. All the tracks on this EP are good, and are filled with lots of gems that you'll be listening to long after you get the EP. I know for sure that this won't be my last encounter with this CD - I'll be bumping some of these pieces for a long time. This is just a dope CD through-and-through, and stands and an exemplar of ICP's work, especially regarding their EPs. The EP bumps, and I highly recommend this to any Juggalo - especially considering that you can find it on the cheap really easily. For the price tag - it's hella worth it, my ninja.

JRH gives "Eye of the Storm" by Insane Clown Posse a: 4/5!
(It bumps my ninja, it bumps!)

Strong points:
- Smash tracks!
- Stellar production
- ICP delivers on fun, crazy and theatrical tracks that don't fail to entertain
- I like the inclusion of different musical styles on this CD (Rock elements and rap elements)
- Lots of gems that give this CD a lasting value among the ninjas
- Cool to listen to track that were cut from The Tempest
- Fresh as fuck my ninja can I say any more?

Weak points:
- The album art made me underestimate this CD for sure, and is probably the biggest weak point in comparison to how good the rest of this CD is

Not terrible art, but not great art either...

No comments:

Post a Comment