Thursday, January 2, 2014

"Backdoor Rydas", Psychopathic Rydas EP review

     What's up ninjas? Today I'll be doing my first review: "Backdoor Rydas", by the Psychopathic Rydas. This album was released in 2011 alongside EatShitNDie at the Gathering that year, but unlike EatShitNDie, Backdoor Rydas is an EP and not a full album. Standing six tracks tall, this is one of the few EPs that the Rydas have done throughout their career. Since this album is shorter than most of the other CDs I will be reviewing, I'm going to endeavor to go into a bit of detail on every track instead of reviewing the album as a whole.
      Musically, all Ryda CDs are composed of stolen beats from popular contemporary rap artists and songs. In the case of Backdoor Rydas, this gives the album a much more modern and popular sound because the beats are also very modern and popular. The wandering listener will definitely be able to recognize some of the beats featured on this EP because of their popularity. Like all the Ryda CDs, this album houses the familiar lyrical themes of Money, Murder, and the Muff. The Psychopathic Rydas take these beats and put a wicked Rydas twist on it, and it works very well.
     Backdoor Rydas is an excellent CD and a nice tangent from the usual murderous and underground music the label normally puts out. Not only would I recommend this to most any Juggalo, I'd also recommend it to anyone into rap, especially that hardcore gangsta shit.

 Graphics:
     The album art is rather lewd. Ass, everywhere. Ass on the cover, ass on the back of the cover-paper, and when you take the cover and fold it out, guess what? Rydas posing, but with some ass-cheeks on either side of them. Ass on the CD too, and then on the back of the CD case there's more ass, except this time there's an arm too, tatted with a Hatchetman and holding a glock. The tracklist consists of more booty, and that's about it for graphics.

From here I will break it down into what my thoughts are on the tracks themselves:

Track #1, "Backdoor Rydas"
     Okay ninjas, I can't lie. When I first heard this song, I thought, "Oh, nevermind that shit. Skip!" I judged it harshly because of the content of the song, which is as it sounds. The Rydas rapping about getting skin and messing around with the ladies. I'm not sure why, but after a while this track kind of grew onto me, and now I can't help but get into it whenever I bump this track.

Track #2, "You Scared"
     This song starts off with some Ryda banter about how to properly dump on a busta, before coalescing into a song about how they're in the place, and you're scared. Like you should be, because they're the Rydas. I love the beat from this song; I remember it from back when, but I forget the original track it's from. This song is a great set-up for the mood the rest of the album exudes.

Track #3, "Here They Come"
     If I had a system of any sort, it would be thumping hard when this started playing. This track is exemplary of the Ryda message, "Fuck you, I'm a Ryda, and I play to win." Every single verse on this track is dope, and it might just split your wig if you let it. Definitely one of my favorite tracks off the entire EP, hands-down.

Track #4, "Chalk Lines & Caution Tape"
     Again, another track that kicks and smashes the entire time it plays. It starts off with a drumroll that leads into the opening verse by Lil' Shank, and it continues with freshness dropped by the rest of the crew. I bumped this track a whole lot back when I first heard this album. As you may infer, the track is about the Rydas doing their thing and lining 'em out in chalk for all to see, and there really isn't much more to it then that. A really good track with great beat selection.

Track #5, "Car Jack"
     One of the songs that made me want the EP. This track is absolutely incredible, with skillful verses from every single Ryda, and a simple lyrical message. If you need a track to sample before you cop this album, this is the track you want to listen to. Amazing beat, amazing verses, and an great way to end an awesome EP.

Final Grade: JRH gives "Backdoor Rydas" by the Psychopathic Rydas a: 4.3/5Weak points:
- Concludes almost without warning, very abrupt

Strong points:
- Smash as fuck
- Relatively inexpensive
- Nice beat selection
- Short and sweet

     That's it ninjas! There is is, my first full review. Keep it locked for further reviews, and please feel more than welcome to drop a comment with any thoughts you have on my review.
     You can also feel free to subscribe to the blog if you want to be e-mailed when JRH updates, there's a little gadget on the right-hand side if you feel so inclined. Thanks for reading, and for giving me your time. JRH out.

Annotations:
  • I will always try to put an album cover at the bottom of the post, so that you have an image to refer to if you want to look into the piece
  • JRH is the abbreiviation for the name of the page
  • We have a Facebook page! Peep that shit ninjas: https://www.facebook.com/JuggaloReviewHole

No comments:

Post a Comment